Healthy Meals to take Camping
Camping and summer go hand in hand, sitting by a campfire, chilling by the lake and relaxing by a mountain stream with a meal cooked on the fire as the day comes to an end. However, not all of us keep our healthy eating habits healthy when we pack up our coolers for the weekend, but there are a number of healthy meals to take camping that require only a small hibachi, a pan over the fire and a little imagination.
Healthy camping meal ideas
- Breakfast Ideas
- Whole wheat pancakes are a healthy and easy option that can be cooked in a frying pan that you’ll have with you anyway. Mix the ingredients together and use dry milk and eggs so all you’ll have to do is add the water.
- There is nothing easier than boiling eggs and adding some already washed fruit to the side of the plate to balance off the morning.
- Lunch Ideas
- Trail mix is a great snack throughout the day to keep up your energy level.
- It’s easy to bring salad greens and top them off with pre-washed veggies. Add some nuts or seeds and some berries to your salad for a sweet taste.
- Chicken always goes great for lunch on a sandwich, salad or alone. Bake before you leave and cut up when you’re ready to make a quick meal out of it.
- Dinner Ideas
- Kabobs are a favorite anytime and easy to add to a bbq rack over the campfire. For the cooler, make a variety of skewers with fresh mushrooms, peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes and meat.
- Any type of fish is easy to throw over a rack on a bbq grill. Wrap fish in tinfoil, season and let it cook to perfection. Potatoes are also easy to toss on the fire in foil as is corn on the cob to complete the meal.
There are as many healthy camping meal possibilities as you can think of. Preparing, washing and cutting many foods before you leave your house for the great outdoors will save a lot of hassle when you reach your camping paradise.